Saturday, January 15, 2011
The Framing
The framing of DMA is a little intense right now. I'm still trying to figure this class out because it's unlike any class I've ever taken. In a way that's kind of what framing is though; a beginning where a rough idea or concept is laid out before you, put in it's place. The framing of content materials is especially interesting. I like research done by Sugata Mitra and how kids are able to essentially teach themselves when given technology and groups to work in. It was amazing to see where his work went after his initial framing; placing a computer in a wall in a country where they weren't common and just simply seeing what happened. One other piece that I thought was particularly interesting was the "High Rise: Out My Window" interactive narrative by Katarina Cizek. Her initial framing was a 360 degree perspective on the lives of people who live in concrete buildings. These people were from all over the world and not only were very different themselves but so were the high rise concrete buildings they lived in (i.e. the projects, a friendly neighborhood). I experience framing in my own life on almost a daily basis. I write songs and it always begins with a small idea that I work out and then it develops into a greater whole, but not without the initial framing. Essentially my image represents all of the random framings I've been in exposed to in DMA thus far and my confusion in some cases about how they all tie together. It all makes sense in an information overload kind of way.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment