Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Sound



For my sound project I read some of the important parts of my text into a microphone and distorted my voice a view different ways. I took four different songs and made them transition in an order that represented the layout of the overall text from beginning to end. I layered one of these songs three times to again distort the sound and also to make it sound looney. You'll notice that the Alice in Wonderland tune comes in on another track two additional times after the initial entrance of the song. The two Bun-Ching Lam compositions played at the end mesh really interestingly and strangely together and this was done randomly. I chose a spot for the second composition of extremely different character to start playing and went with it. The two sounds worked and made for an interesting portrayal of what my overall intent was. The goal of the whole piece was to show my words in sound and make the sound from Bradley Manning's perspective. What you hear is therefore how I imagine Manning's mind in solitary confinement. Gradually becoming loonier and loonier running the shattered and distorted remains of a belief that he is slowly losing touch with. My sound emulates his brainwashing by the government.

No comments:

Post a Comment